The links below contain useful information to assist individuals, households and communities prepare for natural hazards.
- Federal Emergency Management Agency
An in-depth guide to citizen preparedness.
- Family Preparedness Checklist
Make sure your family is prepared for anything.
- Preparedness Fast Facts
The Red Cross gives you the facts about emergency preparedness.
- Ready America
Ready.gov organizes emergency preparedness information in a user-friendly interface.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
The CDCs source of information for preparing for and responding to emergencies.
- Emergency Preparedness for the Disabled
Disability.gov gives you tools and resources to help yourself or a disabled person in an emergency.
- Preparing for Extreme Natural Events
A resource for teachers to help their students (grades 3-5) prepare for extreme natural disasters.
- Managing the Damage: Preparing for Natural Disasters
A blog for teachers.
- Preparedness for Natural Disasters
9th-12th-grade preparedness for natural disasters.
Climate Change Resources:
- Climate Change Health Threats in North Carolina
Interactive and informative resource on the various impacts of climate change.
- Climate Impacts in the Southeast
Explanation of the impacts of climate change specifically on the southeast.
- Climate Saving Tips
What you can do to minimize climate change.
- Adapting to Climate Change
A link to a NC handbook on how local municipalities can adapt well to climate change.
Hurricane Computer Models:
- Coastal Emergency Risks Assessment
A real-time storm surge forecast system for the U.S. Atlantic Coast and the Northern Gulf.
- Beyond the Basics: Best Practices in Local Mitigation Planning
A website designed to help guide people through the process of developing or updating a local hazard mitigation plan.
- 2015 ISO National Code Assessment Report
- Planning for Hazards: Land Use Solutions for Colorado